Tuesday 21 April 2015

Reinventing Leftovers

There are two things that are hugely important in home-cooking and which I pride myself in. 1. Re-inventing leftovers 2. Subtly ramming heaps of vegetables into a meal, to make it delicious, yet nutritious. 

You might remember a few months ago I shared my rabbit pie recipe, as always I cooked far too much, so froze a container of it for a rainy, or busy day. 

Tonight I reinvented my pie filling by disguising a plethora of vegetables into a rabbit ragu and serving it with penne pasta. 

There is no real recipe to doing this, it's just about keeping the meat base basic, and adding spices and vegetables to suit the dish. 

Sometimes a big pot spaghetti bolognese mince will become or burrito's or nachos with the addition of coriander, chilli and a little dark chocolate to the mix. Serve with salad sour cream and guacamole. Or it could become a pie filling, by reducing and thickening the sauce and adding some large chunks of carrot or mushroom. 

Tonight to re-invent my original pie filling, I sautéed diced zucchini and green capsicum till soft, added a little oregano, basil, cracked pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. The meat filling went in and was combined with a tin of tomatoes and handful of baby spinach, before simmering gently for 20 minutes. Finally it was served on penne with avocado slices and finely grated parmesan.  


No comments:

Post a Comment