Wednesday 8 October 2014

Spark'n Barbeque'n Pulled Pork

Thanks to friends who have a love of hunting, my freezer is full of legs of wild pork. Initially I cooked this as per my friends instruction in an oven bag with a tin of pineapple. It was pretty good, but as always I was keen to try something new this time. It seems the craze in some of the new restaurants around town is BBQ Pulled Pork... so I figured I would give it a go for myself. 

It turns out that the sauce is made and stirred through separately, so the meat itself if much like any other slow cooked meat. I was planning to use a slow cooker, but the leg wouldn't fit, so I did it in an oven bag in a really low oven all day instead.


I wanted to make sure it had the added sweetness that the pineapple gave as pork, particularly wild pork, can be quite rich, so I cooked it with Old Mout Cider, I choose their Scrumpy because it's got a slightly higher alcohol content and  has a strong apple flavour. 

The BBQ sauce recipes I found however mostly consisted of the base ingredient ketchup... why would I use a sauce to make another sauce? Doesn't seem to make sense to me, so I made my own one up, using more of the delicious Scrumpy, See Here for yourself.

Apple Cider Pulled Pork served with Buns, Coriander and Lime Rice, Coleslaw and BBQ sauce. (See below for Rice and Coleslaw recipes)

Ingredients

  • 1 leg free range or wild pork 
  • Large oven bag or slow cooker - my leg of pork wouldn't fit in the slow cooker
  • 1 1/2 c Apple Cider - I used Old Mout's Scrumpy 
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp smoked paprika 
  • 2 tbsp ground cumin - I toast the seeds in a dry pan, then grind in a mortar pestle for the freshest flavour
  • 2 tbsp oregano 
  • 2 tbsp salt 
  • 1 cup of BBQ Sauce
Method

Trim the meat of any large chunks of fat. Mix onion, spices and cider, put in bottom of oven bag. Add pork, spooning some of the mix on top so it's at least been coated. 

Seal oven bag and place in 120 degree oven for 6-7 hours. Meat should fall off the bone. Don't worry you can't really overcook it, so if in doubt, leave it longer. 

If using a slow cooker, just put all ingredients in on low for 7 hours. 
Once cooked, allow to cool slightly then put meat, bones, and cooking liquid into a large tupperware and chill overnight. 


The next day skim any fat from the surface (the liquid should be jelly-like now that it has cooled, this is what you want, just skim the solid orange/white fat from the surface if there is any) remove the meat and bones from the liquid. Put  jelly/liquid into a heavy pot and simmer on a low heat for 30-40 mins until nearly completely reduced, stir occasionally so it doesn't stick. 

Meanwhile, shred the pork meat using two forks. Discard any bones. 

Once the cooing liquid has reduced, allow it to cool, then stir it through the shredded meat. Stir through 1 cup of BBQ sauce. Then set aside. 

To serve, gently reheat meat on the stovetop, on a low heat. 

Serve with more BBQ sauce, Coleslaw, Buns, and the Coriander Lime Rice. 


Coriander and Lime Rice

This rice makes a great side dish full of aromatic mexican flavours. 

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4c Brown Rice
  • 1/4c of Black Rice 
  • Zest and Juice of 1 lime 
  • 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp coriander leaves
Method

Rinse rice and soak in a pot with 3 cups of water, lime zest and coriander seeds. Leave covered 2-3 hours.
Remove lid, place on high heat till simmering, stir gently, cover, reduce heat and leave for 20-25 mins, till water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and leave 10 mins. 
Remove lid, fluff with a fork, add lime juice, olive oil, salt and fresh coriander. 
Serve warm or cold. 

Coleslaw

I make coleslaw with a light vinaigrette, you can use mayonnaise if you prefer, or just serve with mayo on the table like I do. For ease, I also make coleslaw in the food processor, a good old knife will do fine if you don't have a processor. 

Ingredients
  • 1/4 red cabbage
  • 1/4 white cabbage
  • 3 carrots peeled 
  • 2 tbsp chopped chives
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil of your choice) 
  • Juice of 1 lemon or lime
  • 1 tsp salt
Method

Peel Carrots. Chop vegetables so they will fit into the hole in the top of the food processor. 
Using the large slicing blade process the cabbages. 
Next use the grater attachment and grate the carrots. 
Place all ingredients into a large serving bowl, toss together with chives, oil, salt and lemon juice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment