Wednesday 8 October 2014

Honest Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Recently I made a feast of BBQ pulled pork (find the recipe here), where one of the main ingredients & condiments is BBQ sauce. 
The BBQ sauce recipes I found however, mostly consisted of the base ingredient ketchup... why would I use a sauce to make another sauce? Doesn't seem to make sense to me, so I made my own one up, using more of the delicious Old Mout Scrumpy Cider that I'd cooked the pork in also.

I made this sauce quite quickly and it has a lovely slightly chunky texture. i think had I cooked the vegetables down longer it would have gotten smoother and would probably keep in the fridge longer. I don't think this will be a problem though. We did a blind taste of this sauce, vs. a shop bought bbq sauce, and thankfully my homemade one won!
My friend however did suggest that my label ought to have two chilli's rather than one. 

Ingredients


  • 2 tbsp rice bran oil
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1/2 red capsicum
  • 1 300ml jar tomato puree
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup Old Mout Scrumpy Cider 
  • 1/4 c Molasses 
  • 1/4 c raw sugar
  • 4 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 3 tbsp dried oregano 
  • 1 tbsp salt 
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper 
Method

In a large pot heat oil on a low heat. Add onion, garlic and capsicum, cook stirring for 5 mins till softened. 

Add paprika, oregano, cayenne and salt. Stir again before adding tomato puree, apple cider vinegar and cider. Next add sugar and molasses. 

On low heat simmer, uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally till sauce has thickened and reduced. 

Taste and add more vinegar, sugar, salt or spice if required. 
Allow to cool slightly before pouring into a food processor. 
Blitz till smooth (or desired consistency) 

Bottle in sterilised jars. 
Will keep for 4 - 6 weeks in fridge 



No comments:

Post a Comment