Sunday 12 February 2017

Sultana Oat Cookies

COOKIES! I am all about the cookies at the moment. Maybe it's part of being a new mum and the fact that I'm constantly hungry, or needing to snack on the go, either way, give, me, the, COOKIES. 
I have to admit however, this is the first batch of cookies that I have made myself since the little one arrived, partly because I thought I didn't have time, and partly because of the convenience of store bought ones! 
Anyway, I decided I should get back in the kitchen (finally) and make my own, however if you're a fan of store bought cookies then these will remind you of the Farmbake Oat and Sultana cookies - promise. 

You'll notice I love putting oats in my cookies, it adds texture and makes them somehow seem healthier, heck we may as well just eat these ones for breakfast, they're practically muesli, right?
Plus, you won't get sent home with the note from school for putting them in your little ones lunch box - well you better not! 

I like to chill the rolled balls of dough on the tray before baking. It stops them from spreading out so much and keeps them nice and plump. 
These will keep really well in an airtight container for a week, provided they don't get eaten first. 

Ingredients (makes 20-30 cookies): 

  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp canola or rice bran oil
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 c flour
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 c rolled oats
  • 1 c dried sultanas - raisins or currants are equally as delicious
  • 2/3 cup desiccated coconut 
Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Line two trays with baking paper.  
In a bowl whisk sugars, oil, vanilla, and egg. In another bowl combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking soda, sultanas and coconut. 
Mix dry and wet ingredients together till well combined. 

Use wet hands to shape balls of dough, I make mine about ping pong ball size and then lightly press them with the back of a wet spoon. I popped mine into the fridge for 15 minutes at this stage, it helps to keep them rounder, rather than flatter, but you're welcome to skip this stage. 

Bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden (if you've opted for larger cookies you may need to bake for an extra 5 minutes). Leave on the tray to cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. 

*Unbaked cookie dough can also be wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months. Simply remove from the freezer, thaw, roll and bake when you're ready... Freezing the dough is also a good idea if you don't want to eat the whole batch of cookies at once!  


No comments:

Post a Comment