Sunday 11 October 2015

Pumpkin'n'Spice Muffins

Earlier this year I completed Junk Free June and thanks to all my sponsors raised $700 for The Cancer Society. One of the main things that challenge taught me was how much hidden sugar I eat, daily. Or ate. One lasting change I have made is to my 'snacks'. Once upon a time, a muesli bar-oholic. Eating at least one, sometimes more, every day. I was kidding myself thinking that these chocolate coated morsels were 'healthy', usually full of sugars and contributed to my 3pm crash, which was usually fuelled by more muesli bars or chocolate. 

The lasting change I have made is no more processed morning teas. No more muesli bars. I'm not saying that all muesli bars are unhealthy, there are definitely some good options out there, and they can be a great grab'n'go snack to resort to. However, part of my goal was to cut them out. As a result, I've discovered a range of easy to make refined sugar free lunch box fillers, as I go I'll update the blog with the 'lunch box' tag. 

These muffins are gently spiced with cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. I've raved about the health benefits of turmeric before, as a natural anti-inflammatory it's a wonderful inclusion in a healthy diet. 

Ingredients (makes 12): 
  • 3/4 cup mashed pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (almond, coconut, or dairy) 
  • 1/3 cup rice malt syrup (or maple or honey) 
  • 3 tbsp oil (olive, rice bran, or coconut) 
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence 
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds
  • 1/2 cup mixed nuts and seeds (walnut, sunflower & pumpkin) 
  • 1/4 cup dried fruit (diced dates, currants or raisins) 
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger 
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric 

Grease 12 muffin holes with oil. Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. 
In one bowl mix all the wet ingredients, including mashed pumpkin. In another bowl mix dry ingredients, including nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. 
Divide mixture into the muffin holes and bake for 20 - 25 minutes. 
Cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out. 
Delicious served warm with butter and a drizzle of honey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment